Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
ASIST is a two day interactive workshop in suicide first aid created by LivingWorks, an international suicide prevention training organisation. Participants learn to recognise when someone may be at risk of suicide and respond in ways that help increase their immediate safety and link them to further help. ASIST aims to enhance a caregiver’s abilities to help a person at risk avoid suicide. It is intended that ASIST participants will be better prepared to:
- Reflect on how their attitudes and beliefs about suicide affect their intervention role.
- Discuss suicide with a person at risk in a direct manner.
- Build a collaborative approach to intervention focused on safe outcomes.
- Review immediate suicide risk and develop appropriate safeplans.
- Demonstrate skills required to intervene with a person at risk of suicide.
- Identify resources available to a person at risk of suicide.
- Make a commitment to improving community resources.
- Recognise that suicide prevention is broader than suicide first aid and includes life-promotion and self-care for caregivers.
For more information call James Mills on 02 6251 4166.
Why do some trauma survivors not only survive, but thrive? What makes them strong? How can we as professionals foster post-traumatic growth? Book a seat today and learn that while trauma is everywhere, so are the solutions!
You will learn:
• How to shift the focus of treating trauma from reducing distress and merely surviving, to building success and positively thriving.
• How transforming the belief patterns of BOTH the therapist and client to encompass the possibility of change, draws attention away from beliefs of change being unachievable, feelings of blame/ disempowerment/ invalidation, or other’s lack of accountability.
• Why the Solution Focus assertion that problem and solution are not necessarily connected, tests many common beliefs of trauma, loss and grief.
Duration of approximately 3.5 hours
Conversations for life gives participants the tools to identify someone who may be feeling suicidal as well as what to say to keep that person safe.
Terms and Conditions
In order to register for any course, you must complete an online registration by logging onto www.ozhelp.org.au
Please note the attendance cost for our training courses is inclusive of GST.
When 10 or more working days’ notice is given by a participant of an inability to attend a training course for which he/she has registered, a cancellation fee will apply. If less than 10 days’ notice is given, there will not be a refund given.
If you are unable to attend a training event for which you have previously registered, you can send someone in your place if you notify OzHelp up to 48 hours before the training course.
In case of an emergency, please contact OzHelp as soon as possible and a refund (with cancellation fee deducted), may be issued at the discretion of the OzHelp staff.
While we endeavour to do all we can to ensure minimum numbers are reached for each training course, there are occasions when the minimum is not reached and OzHelp reserves the right to cancel or alter a course if required.
If a training course is cancelled, you will be notified of any changes as soon as possible and refunds will be made available.
Concession and discounted rates
A concession rate is available for students, pensioners and volunteers for some training courses. To receive a concession rate when registering, simply select the relevant payment option and provide your concession ID number. Please also bring along your ID to the course as we may need to check it.
A discounted rate is also available for group bookings of five or more people who register from the same organisation for the same course on the same date. We recommend that one person from your organisation be responsible for coordinating the registration and payment on behalf of all people attending a particular course. In order to receive this discount when registering just select the relevant option and provide details of the group coordinator. Full payment for the whole group must be made at the same time to receive the group discount.
Additional registration information
If you have any other information that is relevant to your registration for a course such as food allergies or mobility challenges, please mention this in the comments section when registering.