Conversations for life® is a suicide prevention program for those interested in keeping people they care for safe and connected.
This half-day, facilitator led program focuses on the communication and influencing skills required to help people that may be overwhelmed with issues, and not waiting for them to be in a crisis situation.
Become more confident and influential in your conversations to prevent potential suicidal thinking and behaviour.
You will receive
- Guidance from training facilitators as you improve your planning and conversation skills
- An understanding of the conversation life cycle, from preparation and planning, techniques to adopt and words to use during the conversation through to following up after the conversation
- Valuable opportunities to practice your planning skills and discuss the strategies that you may adopt when helping your friends or family members
- Prepared conversation planners specifically tailored to high risk groups
- Information on suicide prevention and crisis management, and
- An opportunity to be part of the Lifeboat community.
ASIST is a two day interactive workshop in suicide first aid created by LivingWorks, an international suicide prevention training organisation. Participants learn to recognise when someone may be at risk of suicide and respond in ways that help increase their immediate safety and link them to further help. ASIST aims to enhance a caregiver’s abilities to help a person at risk avoid suicide. It is intended that ASIST participants will be better prepared to:
- Reflect on how their attitudes and beliefs about suicide affect their intervention role.
- Discuss suicide with a person at risk in a direct manner.
- Build a collaborative approach to intervention focused on safe outcomes.
- Review immediate suicide risk and develop appropriate safeplans.
- Demonstrate skills required to intervene with a person at risk of suicide.
- Identify resources available to a person at risk of suicide.
- Make a commitment to improving community resources.
- Recognise that suicide prevention is broader than suicide first aid and includes life-promotion and self-care for caregivers.
Terms and Conditions
In order to register for any course, you must complete an online registration by logging onto www.ozhelp.org.au
Please note the attendance cost for our training courses is inclusive of GST.
When 10 or more working days’ notice is given by a participant of an inability to attend a training course for which he/she has registered, a cancellation fee will apply. If less than 10 days’ notice is given, there will not be a refund given.
If you are unable to attend a training event for which you have previously registered, you can send someone in your place if you notify OzHelp up to 48 hours before the training course.
In case of an emergency, please contact OzHelp as soon as possible and a refund (with cancellation fee deducted), may be issued at the discretion of the OzHelp staff.
While we endeavour to do all we can to ensure minimum numbers are reached for each training course, there are occasions when the minimum is not reached and OzHelp reserves the right to cancel or alter a course if required.
If a training course is cancelled, you will be notified of any changes as soon as possible and refunds will be made available.
Concession and discounted rates
A concession rate is available for students, pensioners and volunteers for some training courses. To receive a concession rate when registering, simply select the relevant payment option and provide your concession ID number. Please also bring along your ID to the course as we may need to check it.
A discounted rate is also available for group bookings of five or more people who register from the same organisation for the same course on the same date. We recommend that one person from your organisation be responsible for coordinating the registration and payment on behalf of all people attending a particular course. In order to receive this discount when registering just select the relevant option and provide details of the group coordinator. Full payment for the whole group must be made at the same time to receive the group discount.
Additional registration information
If you have any other information that is relevant to your registration for a course such as food allergies or mobility challenges, please mention this in the comments section when registering.